Announcing the re-launch of our Associate Board!
As we head into our 30th Earth Day Anniversary celebration, we’re creating even more opportunities to get involved in Friends of the Parks and Earth Day (as well as our Seed Grant program!), take leadership in your community, and make every day Earth Day by announcing the formation of our Associate Board, a group of young (or young at heart!) professionals.
We’re looking for people to support our work, particularly year-round Earth Day and Seed Grant work, and who want to take a leadership position by cultivating relationships with park leaders in their communities, fundraising around Earth Day, and more. We’re looking for people who want to take on a leadership role, as well as folks who want to give their skills (graphic design, website management, PR, etc.) on an as-needed basis.
Why join the Associate Board?
- You love and value parks & open space, and think they’re worth defending!
- You care about Earth Day (or want to get more involved!), and want to support the 30th Anniversary of Chicago’s Earth Day events sponsored by Friends of the Parks.
- You care about community members who tend to their neighborhood parks, and want to support their programming and advocacy work.
- You want to build your volunteer & philanthropic leadership experience.
- You want to become more connected with the Chicago non-profit community.
- You’re a transplant to Chicago, and want to get more involved in your local community, specifically neighborhood parks!
- You’ve lived in Chicago your entire life, and want to amplify your voice & other voices when it comes to community involvement & open space!
- You want to meet and network with other civic-minded young professionals.
Within the Associate Board, there will be two subcommittees: Earth Day and Seed Grants. While the Associate Board Leadership will be involved in both, you will have the opportunity to serve on a specific committee.
The Earth Day Committee will undertake projects that include:
- Organizing Earth Day participant and park outreach, communication, engagement, and recruitment
- Media outreach and PR
- Coordinating Earth Day 101 and Earth Day 102 trainings for Earth Day park Site Captains
- Coordinating post-Earth Day input meetings with Earth Day site captains and volunteers
- Extending FOTP’s reach on Earth Day by representing FOTP at park clean-ups
- Fundraising around Earth Day
The Seed Grant Committee will focus on outreach and fundraising surrounding our Seed Grant program. Our Seed Grants are given to Park Advisory Councils (PACs) and park partners to fund park improvement projects from the community. The Seed Grant Committee will undertake projects that include:
- Community outreach to engage more PACs and park partners in the Seed Grant program
- Developing and leading PAC and park partner trainings for the Seed Grant Application process
- Reviewing Seed Grant applications and helping to select the recipients
- Attending Seed Grant funded events, and fundraising around Seed Grants
Interested in joining the Associate Board? Apply today!